African Portrait 2
African Portrait 2
Add to your Shopping Cart
Remove from your Shopping Cart
Remove from your favorite works list
Add to your favorite works list
Send as an eCard!
W: 350mm x H: 450mm x D: 10mm
W: 14" x H: 18" x D:
This work is
Remove Lotter from your favorite artists list
Add Lotter to your favorite artists list
View all 56 works by Lotter de Jager
Lotter de Jager is a South African artist who lives in the beautiful purple city of Pretoria, in the heart of Tswane.
After school he studied Mathematics but started with fine art lessons at Elme studio to desperately find a balance in his studies, only to have come to the realisation there is no difference between Pure Mathematics and Art. The artist says: I don't study Mathematics, I study Abstract Art "
Galileo Galilee in his Il Saggiatore wrote that. The universe is written in the language of Mathematics, and its characters are triangles, circles, and other geometric figures. Artists who strive and seek to study nature must therefore first fully understand Mathematics.
Having also had lessons with Charles Lewis, Celia Heyneke and Danie de Wet he had his first successful art exhibition in 2009.
He is inspired by the words of renowned Mathematician Oswald Veblen: Mathematics is one of the essential emanations of the human spirit, a thing to be valued in and for itself like art or poetry.
Painting is a means of escape for the artist. He paints because he loves it, only painting what he sees as beautiful, and his work is his interpretation of such beauty. He does not aim to convey a message, but rather to tell a story. It is his intent that people who view his work experience a deep emotion, whether it be happiness or sadness, love or anger, light or dark!
He feels the same as the great impressionist painter Vincent van Gogh who once said: I only feel alive when I paint ... I want them to say 'he feels deeply, he feels tenderly
1. Kuns Varietè – Group Exhibition with artists Liezl le Roux & Celia Heyneke.
3. Middelburg – Solo Exhibition.
4. Clearwater Fly Fishing Estate – Solo Exhibition.
5. Kuns Varietè – Group Exhibition with artists Charl Möller and Celia Heyneke.
6. Waterkloof Glen – also featuring artist Festa Joubert.
8. Impromptu Exhibition by Young and Upcoming Artists – Group Exhibition with Sua Havenga, Hosted by Laughing Chefs.
9. Variè Art Exhibition – Group Exhibition with artists Elme, Elsbeth, Elise du Toit, Marlene Monroe & Dylan T. Graham.
10. Drie Gedagtes – Group Exhibition with artists Simonè Marinus & Ingrid Uys.
11. Variè Art Exhibition – Group Exhibition with artists Elme, Elise du Toit, Sue Venter & Danie de Wet.
12. Terre du Vin - Solo Exhibition.
15. Variè Art Exhibition.
People who chose Lotter's work also chose work by: